Bordered by the flat plains of southern Somontano, Laluenga’s landscape shows another side of the region; gentle slopes and low plateaus that were once covered in forests of holm oak. Over recent years the landscape has been changed considerably by man with the introduction of great expanses of irrigated land.
However, in the past the lack of surface springs together with the constant fight for survival resulted in water becoming such a valuable resource that local people were obliged to find ingenious ways to take extract it from under the ground and to store it. The result was the spring well; a testimony to man’s tenacity.
Calle Mayor is the main artery of the old part of Laluenga and is home to a number of beautiful old ancestral houses. The church of Santa Maria Magdalena stands at the far end of the street. Dating back to the 12th century, it is Romanesque in style with a pointed barrel vault covering the nave, which opens up into various chapels added between the 16th and 18th centuries. The church façade was decorated in the Renaissance style in the year 1587.
Walls of mallacán are characteristic of the rural landscape of the south of Somontano. Limestone based, this reddish coloured conglomerate rock is light and porous and is also found on the surface of many of the cultivated fields.
The ruins of the abandoned medieval village of El Almerge lie on a desolate spot in the La Clamor canyon and include the remains of the old Romanesque church of San Isidro.
From Laluenga it is possible to reach the old Broto- Mequinenza livestock track, used in the past to move animals between seasonal pastures.