The strategic value of the hills surrounding the village of Castejón made it the perfect spot for controlling the nearby road and bridge. Because of this, the village boasted two castles In the Middle Ages; one on the site of the current parish church and the other next to this chapel.
Romanesque in style, the chapel has a rectangular layout and is finished with a pointed vault. The original semicircular entrance stands at the west end of the building. It once had a cloister and accommodation for the hermits. Many Romanesque elements have disappeared, mainly because of the changes in taste that came with each era.
Throughout history, la Bella has received illustrious characters and even kings. Felipe IV sheltered here on a journey during the War of Catalunya, around the year 1640.
After the declaration of the War of the Spanish Succession in 1702, a large number of priests from neighbouring parishes were given shelter here. As a result the first Seminary of Aragon was built here next to the chapel, although it was later moved to the episcopal capital of Barbastro.
In 1986 a huge fire marked the start of the decline of the chapel, although even now, La Bella is sill a reference for all the villagers of Casteón del Puente. Holy days such as the incarnation, Easter and the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in September have been celebrated here for generations. Old records reveal the devotion to the chapel’s statue of the Virgin Mary. “They began to call her the Ancient Virgin Mary making reference to her antiquity, worshipped in the time of Godos. Others called her Our Beautiful Virgin Mary because of the rare and unique beauty and loveliness of the image of our saint.” Padre Roque Alberto Faci. Siglo XVIII.
The Virgin of La Bella is famous for her miracles and is a well-known protector of expectant mothers and women in childbirth. Her image is one of a maiden with the Infant Jesus in her left hand and a white lily (symbol of purity) in her right; it is said that dust never settles on her face.
The primitive wooden statue was destroyed in the fire in 1896